We left Wednesday morning and traveled by ferry to Sjaelland and then drove to Copenhagen to stay with Elder and Sister Thorne who are the mission office missionaries. We were also able to meet with Elder and Sister Madsen who are over the SUV program in Copenhagen to compare notes, as well as Sister Hamblin in the office, and Elder and Sister Brookes who are the newest missionaries to arrive and are doing record preservation. (We also found out that Elder Brookes was our former mailman in Provo!)
We drove back through Odense, carrying missionary mail and supplies, and were able to visit with Elder and Sister Blackham who are serving there. It is wonderful to be with other senior missionaries and to learn from everyone. It is always especially wonderful to be able to attend the temple while in Copenhagen, and to also visit with President and Sister (Matron) Williams there as well. Elder Parker was able to find a few family names before we left, so we were able to actually perform work for our own ancestors.
Elder Thorne had purchased tickets for us for "Beauty and the Beast" which has been playing on stage in Copenhagen for the past couple of months. The theater is just a block from where several of the senior missionaries live, so we were able to walk together to see the production. The part of the Beast is played by Tomas Ambt Kofod, who is a Danish actor and member of the church. He is also the man who played the part of Christ in Testaments. The production and music were absolutely wonderful!
| Aarhus to Odden Ferry |
![]() |
| Mission Office Copenhagen DK |
The second night in Copenhagen was our "Christmas Spirit" night. Elder and Sister Thorne took us to Tivoli to see the Christmas lights. It was really beautiful, though it did make me think of Temple Square and the lights turning on there this coming week...
We were tired when we returned home Friday night, but felt uplifted and ready to get back to work. Our little apartment here in Arhus has become "home" in Denmark for now, and we were glad to return.
Today was my first time speaking in Sacrament Meeting since coming to Denmark. I spoke on the Holy Ghost and how special of a "gift" it is to us as members of the Church. Bettina Slottved, our Bishop's wife, translated for me, and things went smoothly. Elder Parker and I also sing in the choir. (Yes, Dad sings in the choir!) That is another way we can support the ward as the choir is very small, but does a fine job each time they sing. I like to sing the hymns as it helps me with my Danish pronunciation. I have also started practicing the Danish Christmas hymns on the piano as there are a bunch, and I don't want to get caught off guard when asked to play the piano! I have a friend who sent me the list of page numbers so I could get a head-start.
After Church we grabbed some lunch, then went to a hospital just a few blocks from where we live to visit an elderly member of the ward, Eva Pallesen. She has been so kind to us, but does not speak English. We had a short "visit," and then I noticed a piano in the room where we were, so I pulled out my smart phone and pulled up the church hymns by sheet music on that tiny phone screen. Eva loves the hymns so I played several for her and another lady in the room. Elder Parker was great, sitting by me, holding my small phone, and scrolling up and down, line by line, so I could see the music! The ladies clapped after many of the songs and really enjoyed my "performance." Next time I'll at least take my iPad so I can see the music!
I am giving this detail today, as we have been asked "what we do." It changes daily and we try to go by the Spirit as to where to focus each day. We don't have much official direction, and are just expected to build the kingdom and support the church in Aarhus. Tonight we are working on Institute lessons for SUV, and messages to take to members we are visiting tomorrow. I also planned what I am going to fix for SUV dinner Tuesday night as it is my turn to cook. I also made a grocery list as we need to go shopping sometime tomorrow before the visits. We usually do laundry on Monday, but have to wait till Tuesday this week. Senior missionaries have a lot more flexibility concerning P-days! We have also been good at keeping up on our walks for exercise, at least till we see how cold it gets...
Elder Parker has plugged in my old smart phone and has Christmas music playing now for the Holiday Season. It is wonderful! We love you all, and hope that all have a wonderful Thanksgiving this coming week. We will miss seeing you and being together, but know that we are where we are supposed to be at this time of our lives. We have been greatly blessed during the four months we have served, and know that the Lord is taking care of each of you back home.
Once again, we love you, and Happy Thanksgiving from Denmark!






No comments:
Post a Comment