Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day May 10, 2015

This will most likely be my one-and-only Mother's Day in Denmark, and though the Danish folk don't celebrate it quite like at home in the USA, we did have a nice meeting at church, and all the women received a red rose. The only thing lacking was the Primary children singing all those Mother's Day songs that always make me cry.  I knew my grandchildren were all nestled snug in their beds (due to the time difference) while I was in church, but I could picture my little ones singing in a few hours.

I was the concluding speaker in Sacrament Meeting, probably to give some mother here a day off, and one of the ward members said I spoke "as a mother."  Pretty hard not to, when I have six children and sixteen grandchildren!  A couple of my girls knew I was speaking today, and asked that I put my talk on the blog...  I won't do the entire talk, but will share a few things as I had to write much of it out so it could be translated into Danish more easily by the sister helping me.



In the United States, I’ve heard that Mother’s Day is second only to Christmas when it comes to calling home and sending flowers.  Mothers, Grandmothers, sisters, aunts, and women in general, play a very important part in our lives, both temporally and spiritually. 

Sister Linda K. Burton, our Relief Society General President, gave a talk last year entitled, “Wanted:  Hands and Hearts to Hasten the Work,” speaking of how all women can help with teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ…

If one looks on the Internet for images of Help Wanted signs, you will find signs saying simply, “Help Wanted.”  Others say “Apply Within” or “Accepting Applications.”  I also came across a sign that said, “Now Firing” and one that said, “Positions Available.”  In thinking of Mother’s Day, the Now Firing and Positions Available signs reminded me of a conversation I had with my son when he was in his early 20’s.  (He’s the only boy in a family with not only a mother, but also five older sisters!  He sometimes felt like he had six mothers!)  

One afternoon, after reminding him of all the things a “good” mother should remind her son of, I said, “Daren, do you get tired of having a mother?”  My son replied, “Not of having a mother – just sometimes of all the “mothering!”

Mothering!  Mothering!  This caused me some reflection for a long time.  I had helped my son with speech, spelling, reading, writing, math, music, Boy Scouts, talks in church, and as he grew older, social skills – how to make a phone call, fill out a job application, how to ask a girl out on a date, some cooking, and not to wear white socks with dark dress pants to Priesthood Meeting!  One time, just to tease me, he actually put white socks on over his black ones and made sure I saw them as he was going out the door with his Dad.  He did take the white ones off before leaving so I could see the dark ones underneath. 

But mothering!  What is “mothering?”  The definitions of mothering are really quite positive, so I decided it was the number of times associated with my mothering that sometimes over-loaded my son, for mothering includes:
The process of caring for and nurturing a child.
The work of trying to keep children alive.  (These are good things!)
Bringing up a child with care and affection.
To pay attention to… to tend… to treasure. One of my favorite gifts given me by my oldest daughter either on a Mother’s Day or my birthday is a small plaque that says, “My family is my treasure.” I was pleased that she knew that to be true.


Here are a few pictures of my mother, Verda Nebeker Westenskow:

Here are pictures of Glen's mother, Maxine Parkin Parker:

I will be eternally grateful to these two mothers who sacrificed so much for our families, and who did enough "mothering" to not only keep all us kids alive and well-tended, but who treasured us with all their hearts.  My mother's birthday was just a few days ago, May 6th, and she would have been 98 years old if still alive.  Glen's mother is still living, and he was able to tell her "Happy Mother's Day" last night.

I would like to tell my five daughters, Robyn, Tonna, Amber, Holly, and Camie how proud I am of them.  I love my girls with all my heart.  They are all better mothers than I was.  I also love my son who is a great treasure to me, and what a blessing he has been to his dad after all those girls!  Daren has been married to Taralyn for over a year, and it is now up to Taralyn whether socks are even an issue anymore... I love you Taralyn!

We love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment