When returning from Copenhagen about three weeks ago, we were able to take a short side trip to an area we had not visited before - Rislev, Herlufmagle, and Skelby, small rural communities on the island of Sjælland. This was very important to me, as Rislev was where my grandmother, Ane Christina Andersen was born. Her father, Hans Peter Andersen was born in Trælose near Skelby, and her parents were married in Herlufmagle.
 |
| Rislev Kirke - Ane Christina Andersen birth area |
 |
| Rislev Kirke |
 |
| Herlufmagle Kirke - Hans Peter Andersen and Ane Chatrine Hansen married in this community |
 |
| Skelby Kirke - near birthplace of Hans Peter Andersen |
I never knew my grandparents as all were deceased before I was born, but this area was special to visit, as I knew of the great love my Dad had for his mother. She left Denmark when just a young girl of 10 years old and came to America with her older brother until their parents had enough money to join them. I remember my Dad telling me of how his mother had experienced such a hard life, but of how kind she was to everyone and of how much she took care of him all the years after he was in the train accident that took his leg as a young boy, and took the lives of two of his nephews. I believe he spoke of his mother just before he died, so what a wonderful reunion he must of had! Driving through this beautiful area of Denmark brought those memories flooding back.
What added more to this small trip was that it had been very cloudy, rainy, and fairly dark while we were traveling from Copenhagen, but as we neared these communities, the sun came out and everything brightened! The sky turned blue, the clouds lifted and turned puffy, and we had a couple of very beautiful hours of sunshine for our travels and pictures. I truly felt a special spirit in this beautiful area and could imagine my grandmother visiting a place she had not seen since a very small girl...
No comments:
Post a Comment